Why does having enough sleep help with weight loss?
- If we feel rested after a good night sleep your mood will be better, you’ll have more positive feeling therefore probably make better choices
- A good sleep will mean you have more energy, your energy output (NEAT and other activity) is likely to be higher therefore you burn more calories
- When we are sleep deprived our hunger hormone, Ghrelin, goes higher, this is make us feel more hunger and we will usually reach for the processed/simple carb foods
- When sleep deprived you release less leptin (hormone that tells us we are full) therefore our appetite increases
- Poor sleep can cause you to become insulin resistant over time. More chance of developing type diabetes.
Studies show that people who sleep less overall have a higher BMI than those you get enough sleep.
I think this is enough to convince you to prioritise sleep. If we get this habit right from the beginning then we can really focus on the others to come.